BRAY LOCAL WORKSHOP
The Bray workshop was held in the Village Hall on 18 October 2012, but only about 18 people attended.
Traffic congestion in and around Bray Ward
There was considerable disquiet about traffic congestion in and around the area, but of course issues around the major transport network have to be addressed at the county/national level. However, local congestion in Bray Village might be addressed through the neighbourhood plan. Options arising out of the workshop for further consideration:
- a one-way system on Upper Bray Road, with bus contraflow, or
- placing a bus gate on the Bailey Bridge.
Parking in Bray Village
There are parking issues in Bray Village from people visiting the cluster of restaurants, and on a stretch of the A308.
Potential solutions to be investigated in the neighbourhood plan might include, linking the car parks for The Crown and The Hinds Head (premises in joint ownership) to create a joint car park, with a sole entry point and sole exit point.
This proposal would require some land acquisition for the purpose, which a Neighbourhood Plan policy may identify for such use.
Meeting Future Housing needs in Bray Ward
There are limited opportunities for redevelopment, other than on existing ‘brownfield’ sites – some of which may require extensive remediation.
A neighbourhood plan could identify:
- type of development
- community benefits which could arise out of the new housing provided
- propose a priority list of appropriate sites to be considered.
Bus services and community facilities in Bray Village
- An additional bus service into the evening on weekdays would improve the service, but at a cost that is likely to be considered unviable by the operator.
- A policy to support a local shop in Bray Village could be written into the Neighbourhood Plan, if felt appropriate by the community, though previous shops have closed as not viable.