Bray Parish sits between Windsor and Maidenhead, is bordered to the north by the Thames, and is steeped in history with links back to Roman times. We have a unique blend of historic villages, yet are close to the urban centre of Maidenhead and major roads like the M4, A330 (Ascot Road) and A308 (Windsor Road).
The Green Belt has so far prevented creeping urbanisation so that land remains for agriculture, rural and leisure pursuits. Preserving this feeling of openness is a Parish priority. But we also need to make sure that we also plan for the future development of local enterprises, rural activities and housing.
This situation results in problems of traffic congestion, and speed and safety issues, made worse by HGV transit and population growth. With single lanes in both directions (and often narrow), our A and B roads suffer – with no comparative improvement in infrastructure.
Some key Bray Parish facts:
- There are about 3700 homes, housing about 7200 people.
- We have three infant/junior schools, a secondary Free School planned at the old Holyport Manor School site, two specialist medical centres, several nursing homes, a GP practise, three Memorial community Halls, a Church, and Chapel. Plus Holyport has a mobile library visit every Thursday.
- Over 95% of the Parish is Green Belt, with 5% designated a special area of conservation (SAC). 5% is designated SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) – which is 6% of the Borough total.
- A large part of the Parish is farm land with three farms and other rural businesses – including several riding and polo establishments and three garden centres. A substantial area is Crown Land.
- Listed buildings – 3 x grade I, 9 x Grade II*, and 71 x Grade II.
- Bray and Holyport are both covered in part by Conservation areas
- There are leisure facilities at Bray Lake, Bray Marina, Windsor Marina, Bird Hills Golf Course and Water Oakley – and one of only 49 Real Tennis courts in the world.
- Michelin-starred restaurants such as The Fat Duck and the Waterside Inn, top hotels, and other hospitality businesses.